What is the course?
Accessed online, the Makaton Language Program guides you in bite-sized chunks through the exciting process of learning Makaton.
Makaton is a unique approach which combines the use of speech, signing, and symbols or other visual supports which is customized to meet individual communication needs and can be flexible to work with other symbol systems. It uses language at a simplified level signing only the key words in a sentence. It takes the most common everyday words called concepts and puts them together into a core vocabulary. The program can be used to help people of any age, and can be used at home, school, work, and out and about in the community.
- Essential fundamentals – what Makaton is, how it works with speech and as a support tool to use with everyday communication
- Learning Makaton – from single concepts to use in sentences
- Developing skills – how to adapt Makaton to simplify it or add extra complexity to meet individual communication need
- Makaton symbols – the unique characteristics of Makaton Symbols and how they fit in with other forms of visual support for communication
- Using Makaton to help with understanding
- Using Makaton to help people express their thoughts, needs, and choices
- Advanced use of Makaton – learn to translate complex language or information to help individuals better understand and communicate
Why access this course?
This course provides clear and accessible information that will raise your awareness of the challenges that people of any age can experience with communication such as a 4 month old or an 80 year old with dementia, someone with autism, down syndrome, an illness, or an injury. You will experience how you can positively impact the progress and development of someone who faces challenges with communication.
Enrolling on the course will give you access to:
- Clear and relevant lessons that give information about how and why Makaton can help with communication
- Video support and guidance to enable you to learn to use Makaton naturally and fluently alongside everyday speech. You will access the full Makaton Program of 450 core concepts
- Makaton symbols; researched and designed to support language development, and available for you to use as part of your communication support approaches
- Support and encouragement from our team of Makaton Ambassadors
- Opportunities to become part of the International Makaton Family as a certified user or ambassador
Who is this course for?
This course is for parents, family members, speech and language pathologists, teachers, occupational therapists, and other healthcare/specialist practitioners who support individuals with communication challenges. The principle of Makaton is that everyone can be an expert. This course is designed in such a way, that whatever your role or reason for learning it is, the content can be tailored to suit your needs and the needs of the person you support. This may be directly with a loved one in your family, or someone within your school or organization to create inclusive environments.
Not sure who would benefit from using Makaton? Take a look at our suitability checklist to see who Makaton can help.
What is the cost of accessing Makaton Training?
The course is $650 (plus applicable taxes).
Payment options will include:
- Discounts for group or organizational purchases
- Payment plans – fees payable by instalments
How long does it take to complete Makaton Training?
Those signing up to complete the full core training have program access 24/7 for 6 months.
It is certainly possible to complete the course within a shorter timeframe, but for best results, time and care should be taken during the learning process.
Everyone who learns Makaton is strongly advised to take time to learn and practice. A key feature of Makaton is signing with clarity and accuracy making use of sign production techniques which are taught on the course. This means that when Makaton is used to help people with communication challenges, they receive the highest possible quality of experience.
At the end of your 6 months, if you wish to continue access to the course and materials for longer – simply extend it by choosing an ongoing subscription package.